|Dreamy Chocolate Dipped Cream Filled Cupcakes|
IF YOU'D ASKED ME TWO YEARS AGO IF I'D EVER THOUGHT I'D BE WRITING ABOUT CUPCAKES, baking, or cooking for that matter, I'd most likely have told you that you were plain BAT SHIT CRAZY. However, since I've had more time to do the things in life that actually make me happy these past few years I've discovered that baking is one of my favorite ways to relax. It allows me to focus on one project from start to finish in a reasonable amount of time and provides a tasty outcome for myself, friends, and family. So...its a win-win really.
So, for about the past year and a half I've been baking and baking and baking and thinking, wow, all of this is kind of interesting and perhaps it could be another outlet of mine. Therefore, I've decided to blog about cooking and baking on a weekly basis here on this blog that started out as just a shopping blog. Well its taking a turn after a long hiatus and is now becoming Shop in the Know...a lifestyle blog. This way I can write about anything I want and focus on a few main subjects such as baking, cooking, shopping, interior design, as well as fitness and other topics that just pop in my mind from time to time. I should preface this with the fact that it will be all encompassing of the strange and quirky but sophisticated world that is mine.
THIS WEEK'S BLOG IS REALLY ABOUT THE CUPCAKES I MADE THIS PAST WEEKEND...and OH MY GOODNESS they were excellent! I get my recipes from everywhere, but this one specifically came out of The Cupcake Bible and was given to me by a very dear friend, Ms. Jenni Sidden for Christmas this past year. Had to get that shout out there! Now my cupcakes look a bit different from the one's they did in the book, but I wanted them to be bold and also extraordinarily yummy....so I did add in my own little touches here and there! I do think with every recipe one should take license to experiment and see where it takes you! Remember NO FEAR. Just do it, like with anything else in life.
THE RECIPE. Courtesy of the Cupcake Bible
CREAM FILLED CUPCAKES
1 package (about 18 ounces) dark chocolate cake mix, plus ingredients to prepare mix
1/2 Cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup shortening
3 cups powdered sugar
1 1/3 cups whipping cream, divided
1 teaspoon of salt
2 cups semisweet chocolate
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 24 standard (2 1/2-inch) muffin cups with paper baking cups. Prepare car mix according to package directions. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups filling two-thirds full.
2. Bake 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted into centers comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes. Remove to wire racks; cool completely.
3. Beat butter and shortening in large bowl with electric mixer at medium speed until well blended. Add powdered sugar, 1/3 cup cream and salt; beat on low speed 1 minute. Beat on medium-high speed 2 minutes or until fluffy. Place filling in pastry bag fitted with large round tip. Stick tip into top of each cupcake and squeeze in a small amount of filling. Set remaining filling aside.
4. Place chocolate chips in medium heatproof bowl. Bring remaining 1 cup cream to a simmer in small saucepan over medium heat. Pour cream over chocolate chips; let stand 1 minute. Whisk until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.
5. Place wire rack over waxed paper. Dip tops of each cupcake into chocolate mixture; place on wire rack. Dip a second time, if desired. Let stand until set. Pipe swirl design on top of chocolate using remaining filling.
NOTES FROM SHOPINTHEKNOW.
I made my own chocolate cake batter and also filled the cups higher than suggested. I also made the chocolate icing rich in flavor by using dark chocolate bars instead of chocolate chips. I stacked the icing and then used the left over filling to make little toppers for each as seen in photos!
ALL CUPCAKES can be ordered through firstname.lastname@example.org for any type of party or event!
EAT MORE CAKE!